Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Solstice

Did you know that yesterday June 21st was the summer solstice, or the longest day of the year?  I decided that we should celebrate the start of summer with a BBQ.  I love all the parties on Pinterest that have amazing details and coordinating color schemes.  Even the tiniest detail can make an impression.  Well this party was not even close to any of those drool worthy parties, but it was perfect for the occasion and my kids had fun (that to me is all that really matters).

We invited our a few of our friends over for hamburgers and hot dogs.  I made homemade root beer in a 5 gallon jug.


I also made cupcakes, I tried adding things to make a cake mix taste homemade and it improved the taste, with French Vanilla Whipped frosting and cake batter muddy buddies.


Then we asked everyone to bring a side to share and their own chairs.  The kids played and the grownups talked.  Then we had live entertainment with a local band that we hired, The Stars, which consisted of two of my sons and one of their friends.  Then we just enjoyed the slightly cold summer night and good company, a great way to welcome summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment